Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 9, 2011 Supervisor's Conference

Well, here I am in Island Cove, a lovely resort near Manila. Our entire batch is here, gathered from several training sights around the Philippines for this, the highly anticipated Supervisors Conference. The purpose of this event is to reveal where we will be assigned and who will supervise us.
We arrived yesterday and, as usual, started right in working. Later in the day, with great fanfare, we found out where we will be living for the next two years! I will be in San Jose, Batangas. Check out the Location at the bottom right.

I will be working with elementary teachers in various grades. I met and have now spent hours in training with my supervisor, Amelia Ilagan, who is the principal of the school I'm assigned to. She is smart, pleasant, friendly and tiny! I don't feel tall in the US, but all a sudden I feel like Paul Bunyan's mother! I'll post a pic when I can, but that won't be today because I am in my hotel room...

...with diarrhea.

Now, I know that is probably more than you feel you needed to know but I feel the need to tell you... This is out of control! Literally. Have any of you read "All Quiet on the Western Front"? Do you remember how Hemingway describes, very effectively, how bodily functions became shared experience? A bonding, if you will? Well, it is like that here because you aren't necessarily given a choice. I was sitting on a couch in the outdoor (Thank God for it being outdoors!) and visiting with Lonnie, a man (of course it couldn't be a female), when nature called- or rather, freaked out. I asked Lonnie to get me a towel and then give me privacy to get to my room. I just slipped my plastic notebook under me and waited for him to return. When he did he just said, "Hope you feel better soon. I just finished with that, myself." And pleasantly walked off to lunch.

Those of us stricken today figure it was the food from last night. Our favorite suspect is the Pork Menudo. Another stricken young woman cocked here head and said, sadly, "And it was so delicious, too!"

Anyway, I will now get a nap. A rare luxury. Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment