Saturday, August 27, 2011

August 24, 2011 My First Solo Teaching


Ma'am Grace and Ma'am Ali
 It's umbrellas here, like snowboots in Minnesota.


My First Solo Teaching of an entire Public School classroom- Ever!

They are listening to me as I tell and draw the story of  Goldilocks and the Three Bears.


I'm having fun with a pupil as he answers a question. Pupils stand when they answer. Every time I enter the room they all pop to their feet and say, in chorus, "Good morning Ma'am Ali, God bless you!"


I'm listening very carefully as a pupil answers. The wall of windows and the enire wall to the hallway is all open so there is a lot of noise, which they are used to, but sometimes is a little distracting.


 What a gift to be able to draw this enthusiasm from children, especially when they are struggling through a language barrier. The flip side of that is the fear of taking them into the meaty/boring stuff. I know only too well how tedious school can be and I cringe at the idea that I would lead them into that.
 I told my counterpart teacher, Ma'am Grace, this, and told her how valuable her example and constructive criticism would be to me. She, in turn, is intimidated by my English and our American teacher training. We have been a great team! I will miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment