Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21, 2011 Escape to Subic Bay


Note: Not all blogs are in correct order and sometimes I may add a picture later. Also, I'm adding titles now to help keep track. Thanks for reading. Love, Ali


Subic Bay Respite

I was feeling emotionally and mentally limp, so I did something daring. I betook myself to the beach to meet my friends! What was daring about that is that it was spur of the moment and I wasn't well prepared.
I set off for the big city with a pathetic amount of local language and even less pesos. I hopped the first bus, which turned out to be an expensive one because it had air-con. The conductor was nice, though, and when he saw my concerned look- or maybe it was when he heard my Tagalog- he felt sorry for me and gave me a discount. Wow! Things were definitely looking up!
 And then- a little bonus- I was sitting in the front of the bus and a movie was being shown: House Bunny, a Hugh Heffner movie about a loveable bimbo who becomes housemother to a sorority of misfits. I enjoyed all 35 minutes I saw. Laughed right out loud. What do you think of that, DeMatteo children? Look what the PC is driving me to!
I sat on that bus, laughing at that movie and feeling the tinge of danger at my actions and just felt myself light up with the sheer joy of life. It just got better as the day went on. I had to walk about a mile for the ATM, it was functioning and I got some money! Just like that, money from an ATM! Then I found a bus to the shore.
My friend came running out when she saw me- doesn't that just make you smile when someone does that? And she led me to another friend waiting in the little cabana on the pleasant beach.
We are all training in rough areas with poverty and pollution. This beach is not pristine, but it was beautiful to us! We drew deep breaths of the fresh air and sucked in the view and the coolness of the ocean air.  When I waded in and let myself fall back into the ocean I just exhaled from sheer delight!  It was a delicious afternoon! It was a spiritual experience - so I canceled plans to go to mass. I kid you not. That's what happens when you indulge in Hugh Heffner movies.


Natalie and Lucy at Subic Bay
Aaaaah!
About time to catch a Jeepney home.

No comments:

Post a Comment