Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 3, 2011 Subic Bay Tech Wrap-Up

Technical Wrap-UP at Subic Bay

Our training is divided pretty evenly between the Technical Aspects (which in our case is Elementary Education) and Language Classes.
We have officially completed the Tech portion, so we had our debriefing and celebration- always food and fun in the Philippines! 
Videoke is ubiquitous here, often blaring throughout the night in the neighborhood as some family is marking an occasion such as a birthday or baptism. No locals seem to mind the all-night noise, and everyone seems to enjoy it. Who am I to hold out? When I joined the PC, I naively imagined still nights under the stars, sitting around a campfire singing folk songs. I may find that somewhere, but meanwhile...


Don't I look like the fiddler on the roof? I'm so shy and retiring. It was fun singing Tagalog songs- I was rated a 96 out of 100!
                                                                                               This is Sam, a Facilitator.


                  Fishing boat on Subic Bay.


Just hanging out. The day was overcast, which made the temperature pleasant.
Now we have only Language to focus on this whole week. Midweek we will have a verbal Language test. It seems like a very artificial pressure, as language acquisition is a continuum. I know I'm well on the way and I know I will keep learning.
Where I am on fluency- I'm not!  I'm reminded of my friend who had a stroke. He said he knew exactly what he wanted to say but he could not get his brain and tongue to work together.  I open my mouth and make a few sputtering sounds as I try to get my brain to activate my tongue. I told my Ate that when she sees me open my mouth she can take a brief nap and my sentence will be underway when she wakes up. Still, I am gaining on it!
  This is the last week with our Host Families and that is bittersweet, but I will come visit. I will be 5 hours away by bus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment