Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 4, 2011 Leaving LA, arriving at Base Camp, Cavite, Philippines

Happy 4th of July!
Well, we left LAX on July 2nd and have traveled through many time zones and many moods and have had about 5 hours of sleep. I am sharing a room with Amy again. She's about my age, from SC. I slept well but woke often, listening to the sounds of animals outside. Something chirps and grunts and I've never heard anything like it before. If only I weren't so tired I would have been more curious.
Off to breakfast, which smells garlicy and delicious, and then we have a whole day of training sessions. We're hearing that our group of 60 was to have been 2 or more times that but got cut because of budget.
Hey! How is MN running? Are you in fact shut down?
Enjoy some John Phillips Sousa for Mama and me.

Below: Excited to be boarding at LAX to head to the Philippines. 

The view out Amy and my room.


Our residence while at Base Camp for training
Before everyone gathered for breakfast. (wifi-Peace Corps, Philippines, 2011 style!It is extremely unreliable, though and my best hope is to catch it about 4AM, which works well for me since I wake up about 3 every morning.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alice, Jim Osenberg here. The tech guy from the library. I'm very proud of you. Blogging and adding photos, oh my!! SEE - you're not as bad as you kept telling me.

    Can't wait to see you're next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice! Great job on the photos! I loved seeing everyone that was on the plane and the picture of you with your laptop was great!! Can't wait to travel this journey with you through the best means available...blogs :).

    ReplyDelete