Saturday, March 10, 2012

February 12, 2012 Happy Birthday to Me!

I had a very happy birthay! It seemed to start about 2 months early, very subtly, with people asking or reminding me of my birthday. Some pupils even wished me "Advance Happy Birthday!", with sticky notes they put on the vase on my desk.

Advance Happy Birthday Wishes
 Mam Rachiel texted me early and said the pupils were anxious to see me. Amy and Trevor were here, and Amy and I walked over and when I walked in was I surprised! The pupils and their parents and Mam Rachiel had set up a party for me! They sang to me and there were balloons, cake, flowers and cards and even a few little presents. I got a pretty brooch, which teachers often wear. I opened a soft package and there was a whole stack of white washclothes. These are what people of every age carry, along with a handkerchief, to daub up (or mop up) sweat. Filipinos also tuck them inside their shirt collar so they are hanging down inside against the back and hanging out over the collar. They keep the shirt from sticking to the shoulders as well as absorbing perspiration.  I am truly in the Philippines, about to go through a summer! That is a little daunting but here we go... with these cloths,  I'm ready, right?
 
 Here, the person who is having the birthday provides food for a celebration, to which anyone who wants can come. That costs a lot of money, but somehow they do it. I was lucky because another teacher, Mam Glorydee was born the same day, so we bought a mild feast and split the cost. We ordered fast food of chicken dinners, spaghetti (requisite), pizza and pop. Some parents of our pupils had brought other food for us and a few cakes. Finally Trevor, Amy and I left for Lipa to get the food. That's a 1/2 hour jeepney ride each way.

When we returned with the food, Mam Rachiel had the big, long, blue table in our room covered with paper for a tablecloth. My Tagalog teacher, Mam Rory, was there, too. We put all the food out and while the pupils ate their lunchs and milled around us, we teachers and a few husbands enjoyed our lunch.

Mam Rory has taught me a traditional Tagalog/Spanish dance and she wanted us to show the pupils, so we did. The pupils burst into applause when we did a certain twirl. So sweet. People of all ages are music and dance lovers here. The pupils are familiar with and appreciate dance. So the whole school day passed with a mixture of parties and study.

Mid afternoon our town had a brownout.

Students studying in the dark or with cell-phone light.


My HF had accepted my wishes that we celebrate within our family exactly as they do. All they do is get pansit, the Chinese-type spaghetti, for long life and wishes. They did surprise me with a cake which said, "Happy Birthday Tita Ali". The whole town was quiet and peaceful due to the continuing brownout so supper was candlelit. 



I received cards from family back in the U.S. which was very nice.I felt loaded with good wishes and whole-hearted-belongingness. This was just a joyous birthday and I was smiling whenever I thought about it for days- (still am, in fact).

Party in the Bahay Kubo (Nipa Hut)
Then, Friday night Mam Rachiel and I planned to get together after school. She sent Pare, who is a tricycle driver, to come get me. I hopped in and we buzzed up to their house. When I got out here was a whole gathering of people to celebrate my birthday again! Surprise!  This was the group of folks we spend time with outside of school; going on trips, having parties, etc. We were celebrating in the new bahay kubo, too, so it has had it's first party! I quick called my HF and they all came up, too. 

I am now 56! Healthy, happy, busy and loved! Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment