Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 15, 2011 A few of my favorite things- Jeepneys

Don't they look like they are hanging out with pals and at midnight they will come to life and start playing together? 
We call them Jeepneys but Filipinos call them Jeeps. They are ubiquitous. All you do if you want a ride in any town is wait along the side of the street and they pull right up for you. The drivers are finely tuned to the body language and can tell if someone wants a ride.   

Go Vikings! Filipinos really like America and many have relatives in the States  who are commemorated in style!
This is a tough job. The crocheted fringes usually ask God's help. I read that they count on God because the jeeps are in bad shape and the tires are bald.The white flowers hanging from the yellow altar here are some I bought from a vendor outside church. I laid them on the seat and the driver picked them up and hung them. This is what they are for; they're little devotional wreaths. My host sister, Marjery, watching over my shoulder as I type this, tells me they are Sampaguita. They smell really sweet, like gardenias.                           
In the driver's hand is pesos. They are constantly collecting and making change while driving which they pass back over their shoulder to the nearest passenger, who hands it down the line to the correct recipient. When you are ready to get off, you just say, "Para po!", and they pull off for you.





There's a story here. This is from my vantage point at the front of the benches, overlooking the driver's area. We teachers were packing in to go to a sporting event. There were 25 of us in the back and 2 up front to the right of the driver, but we wanted Sir Arjay to ride with us so the driver just scooted over a little and Arjay sat to the driver's left- beside the bald tire. So countem' folks! That makes 29 counting the driver! 





This was a Wednesday, you can tell by the color of the uniform.
 At PILMES, waiting for pupils after school.


Mahal kong Inay means "I love my mother"
At a region-wide sporting event in Batangas City.

I'm signing out, now, but I wanted to mention that tomorrow is special to me. I will teach in my own classroom for the first time.
Good night, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment